Bryson's Birthday Countdown!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Working 3 12's

As most of you know, I work night shift as an RN--that's 7p-7a 3 or 4 nights a week in the ICU. Prior to being knocked up, I used to group my days together at the beginning of one week and the end of the next so I could take advantage of 5 days off in a row...well let me tell you doing 3 in a row during your first trimester is nearly impossible. I am SO tired by like 10pm that I can hardly keep my eyes open. It doesn't seem to matter how much sleep I get during the day, I'm still ALWAYS exhausted. Then of course I'm on my feet for 12 hours dealing with crazy patients that dont' sleep at night, regardless of what people tell you!

Wednesday night was my 3rd night in a row...I hadn't slept well during the day Tuesday or Wednesday after work...and we had the night from HELL. Of course that would happen on my 3rd night when I'm completely exhausted and not on my first night when I'm nice and fresh and more awake. We moved tons of patients around all shift, I got two admissions, we had a code blue (i broke all the ribs-go me), and had a patient seizing all shift. It was FREAKING insane! We're supposed to punch out by 7:30am...and I didn't punch out til after 8. My boss wasn't happy, but my work wasn't done, I had to stay and finish it up! The advantage to that was going out to breakfast with my awesome co-workers and bitching about what a bad night it was! That was SUPER FUN! Especially since we didn't have the opportunity to eat all night--and THAT didn't go over so well with the baby in my stomach that usually demands food every 2 hours!
Last night was awesome though--I got to snuggle in bed with my husband all night--I get 4 nights off in a row this week and I couldn't be happier!

Well, I need to shower, the guys from Stanek should be here around 8 to install new windows! WHOO HOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment