Bryson's Birthday Countdown!

Friday, December 4, 2009

REFLUX SUCKS

Let me start by saying that I feel like the worst mom in the world for not picking up on my son's reflux a month ago. After the pedi appointment on Wednesday, I was thinking back and he's had signs for a MONTH. Yes folks, a month. First big mommy FAIL!

I took him in on Wednesday because Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday all he did was SCREAM. Not fuss, not cry, but scream...you know, that scream that says "mommy make it stop." When in fact, I had no idea what was making him do this. I finally resorted to tylenol and he slept like a rock Tuesday night--partly b/c of the Tylenol and the other part because of pure exhaustion I'm sure. The doctor checked his ears, belly, did blood work to look for an elevated white count (which would indeed mean infection) and everything was normal. Then we just started talking about Bryson and his habits and the way he "does" things...and it then hit me like a ton of bricks...my kid has reflux.

So 2 hours later with a $90 bottle of liquid Pepcid in hand, I take my screaming baby home and dose him. I have to say, he slept GREAT Wednesday night--like 10 hours. I thought we were home free. Then yesterday (Thursday) he did nothing but throw up...no not spit up...I mean puke. Full out tongue hanging out, gagging, choking acid coming up puking. It was even running out his nose. At some point he would just open his mouth and it would pour out. As Blair put it, it's like the exorcist, but milk-colored. I cried...I cried really really hard. At one point last evening nothing was coming out but he was choking on the acids in his throat...so for fear that laying him down would kill him, I called the answering service. The doctor on call was fantastic. She made me feel like I was a good mommy for noticing something wasn't right and doing something about it. So, the conclusion was, stop giving him pepcid (sounds like a reaction to it) and call his pedi in the morning.

So finally after the pepcid was out of his system (it had been over 12 hours since he'd had a dose) the kid was SUPER smiley and happy and playing and had no more puking. When I called the doctor this morning, they were SHOCKED. So we are changing medications--hopefully to Zantac--and my fingers are crossed that it works. I just want my baby to be better. I miss those smiles and laughs...

The worst part of all this is, I have to go back to work tomorrow night :( I know David is MORE than capable of taking care of our son, but it just makes me sad that his mommy can't be home to cuddle him. I'm the only one he's wanted since he started feeling icky this week. Oh well, it's only for 2 days and then we have 5 whole days together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment