Bryson's Birthday Countdown!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pre-Term Labor

Well, hubby and I just spent the last 5 hours in L&D with a bout of pre-term labor. When I finally decided to call the MD on call, my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and enough to make me feel uncomfortable. I was no longer able to sleep...
When we got there, of course I had to pee in a cup--only a small amount of protein--and they hooked me up to the monitors. I was still having contractions every 3-5 minutes so they hooked up some fluids and gave me a shot of terbutaline. That crap makes your heart race and your hands shake. It's like speed or something! Ugh...I didn't like that at all! After the 1st dose, she checked me and I was 1cm, 70%, -2...not quite what we were hoping to hear!
So I rested for another couple hours and continued to have a few contractions here and there. The doctor came in to see me around 6:30am and she checked me...1cm, 75%, -1...again, not what we were hoping for! She ordered another fluid bolus and some more terbutaline and then a shot in the ass of betamethasone--for lung development incase this baby decides to show up early! I have to go back in the morning for a second dose of steroids...
So...the story ends like this...pelvic rest, modified bedrest, lots of fluids, and behave! Hopefully no more contractions...
Fortunately, she gave me the okay to go to my baby shower's today and tomorrow...but I have to stay sitting down and not do anything stupid!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not taking any blame for you going to work yesterday. ;-) Hope you have a great time at your showers!

    ReplyDelete